Benoc Wisdom Watch V – 2010 Year In Review Edition
- V – This Blog: With the advent of twitter (see notamateurhour) this blog has been lacking in content. Turns out it’s much easier to just sit out a few lines of text regularly than it is to construct several paragraphs worth of content that’s worth reading. We’ll see if that changes.
- V – Hanging Out: With only very rare exceptions, I’ve been lacking in the hanging-out department for the past two or three months for various reasons (work, laziness, etc.). I think this is going to be my new years resolution: “hang out more.” I don’t remember the last time I made a run for the Border Cafe or saw some good pickin’ at the Cantab lounge with my old homies.
- ^ – Work: I did some pretty neat things this year, and enjoyed doing them. A massive mysql upgrade and migration went off with minimal outage — onto solid state disk hardware, which has worked out pretty sweet. I also did a whole bunch of fiddling and reworking with our DNS system for added speed and reliability, and built tools for making database reslaves an order of magnitude faster by using LVM snapshots. All in all, I’d say probably well worth the raise and titular promotion that I got this quarter. I’m not going to deny that there have been issues at Linden this year, and it hasn’t been the happiest of times morale-wise, but from where I sit things seem to be looking up.
- V – Red Sox: A grim 2010 for the boys of summer. ‘Nuff said. But I’m definitely looking forward to the Sox of ’11.
- ^ – Green Lifestyle: With Kristy no longer needing the car to drive to rotations in Worcester or Cambridge, there was no logical reason remaining to own a car while living in the city. $250/month for parking plus $80/month for insurance plus the hundreds of dollars that the car was going to potentially start costing us in maintenance to get it fixed and keep running is far from worth it for something you only drive maybe once a week or so. Zipcar is more than affordable and convenient enough for those occasional jaunts to Costco or the mall, and getting back and forth between Boston and Cambridge is just a quick ride on the CT2 or 47 MBTA bus.
- ^ – Burning Man: This year I did Burning Man for my first, and definitely not last, time. It was an awesome experience pretty much beyond words. Hopefully I’ll find the time to write a bit about it here and post some pictures, but you really have to go for yourself. Definitely one of the highlights of 2010 for me.
- = – Life in General: 2010 has been kind of a doozy of a year. Lots of stuff going on, things done, places gone to, lessons learned. Whew, I feel kind of tired just thinking about it all. I met a few awesome new friends, and said farewell to a few as well as they headed out of town and on with their lives. But I guess that’s how the whole durned human comedy keeps perpetuatin’ itself, down through the generations, westward the wagons, across the sands o time until — aw, look at me I’m ramblin’ again. Well, I hope you folks enjoyed yourselves this year, and here’s to a happy and awesome 2011.
This entry was posted on December 23, 2010, 3:34 pm and is filed under life, reality, sports, work. You can follow any responses to this entry through RSS 2.0.
Both comments and pings are currently closed.