I finally got around to peeping the latest episode off of the DVR last night. Pure. Television. Goodness. Amanda referred to it as the best hour of television ever. Now, I wouldn’t go quite to those lengths, but it definitely ranks right up there in my book as the best thing to come through my cable box in quite some time. At several points I found myself sitting on the edge of the couch practically hooting at the screen. Here are some observations:
- The scar on Peter’s face was bothering me the whole episode. Yes, it makes him look quite bad-ass, but since he supposedly has Claire’s healing power (at least we’ve seen him use it in the past) how would he have a scar? hmmmm? It’s been suggested by others that perhaps in this timeline he didn’t meet Claire, or share her power. My theory is that he just chooses not to heal it in order to increase his “bad-ass-ity.”
- The Sylar as Nathan swap-eroo plot twist was gold. He really is a magnificent bastard.
- That fire vs. ice Peter vs. Sylar rig at the end. Awesome. ‘Nuff said.
- The X-men / post-9-11 opression allegory has the potential to be a bit heavy-handed, but they’re pulling it off nicely. It was, after all, quite obvious to me at least that this is the direction the show is headed in.
- There is indeed hope for continued goodness in the second season. Someone said the other night that the only way the show can continue to kick ass beyond this “save the world” season, is if they “get their shit together and go all X-men.” I’m paraphrasing here, but as per the previous bullet, it seems like that’s what’s happening.